Did you know that, in comparison to other European countries, tuition fees at Swiss universities are relatively low? A year at a Swiss university can cost as little as $1,500. As a result, Switzerland is one of the top choices for international students looking to study in Europe. Furthermore, there are Swiss scholarships available for international students to help with tuition and living expenses.
Scholarships from the Swiss Government for International Students
The Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships each year to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and more than 180 other countries. The research scholarship is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (with a master’s degree or higher) who plan to come to Switzerland to pursue doctoral or post-doctoral studies. The scholarship includes a monthly payment, tuition fee exemption, health insurance, airfare, housing allowance, and other benefits.
Scholarships for International Students at Swiss Universities
- ETH Excellence Scholarships ETH Zurich supports outstanding students from the ETH and other universities (national and international) who wish to pursue a Master’s degree at ETH through two scholarship programs: the Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme (ESOP), which covers the students’ full study and living costs, and the Master Scholarship Programme (MSP), which provides students with a partial stipend and an assistantship offer.
- Master’s Scholarships for International Students at the University of Lausanne
Through the UNIL Master’s Grants, the University of Lausanne in Switzerland provides scholarships to international students wishing to pursue a Masters Degree at the University. The grant is CHF 1,600.- per month from 15 September to 15 July, for a period not exceeding the program’s regulatory minimum period.
- Fellowships for Excellence at EPFL
The Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL) offers a limited number of Master’s level fellowships to students with outstanding academic records. Anyone interested in pursuing a Master’s degree at EPFL is eligible. For external applicants, each fellowship includes a financial package of CHF 16,000 per academic year as well as the reservation of a room in a student residence.
- Geneva Graduate Institute Scholarships
The Institute invests significant resources in financial aid in order to attract talented scholars from all over the world, regardless of origin or financial ability. Financial aid may be in the form of a full scholarship of CHF 20,000, a partial scholarship of CHF 10,000, tuition reduction, or a teaching/research assistantship. A 4-year package combining two years of full scholarship and two years of teaching assistantship is also available to the top-ranked PhD students.
- Excellence Master Fellowships at the University of Geneva
The University of Geneva Faculty of Science has established an Excellence Fellowship Program in collaboration with several sponsors to support outstanding and highly motivated candidates pursuing a Master of Science in any of the Faculty’s disciplines. The Excellence Fellowship is a one-year grant of CHF 10,000 to CHF 15,000 in value.